Subject: Discovery: Using URLs to web UIs in OSLC configuration (was: Initial discovery (was: OSLC & LDP: Query Capabilities, Creation Factories & location of Dialogs))

Going back to a thread from late last year...

Topic: "Using URLs to web UIs in OSLC configuration"

In short: In every OSLC (v3+) server, users shouldn't have to search the config pages & documentation to find the URL to enter into OSLC clients to connect to that server - it should be programatically discoverable from whatever URLs the user has available.

I'll avoid talking about solutions for now, but I want to bring up again, and attempt to clarify, the problem/story that I mentioned in the email below in December.

Two stories:

1. Project-scoped

The user has a web-based OSLC-enabled defect tracking system, which contains multiple "projects". They also have an OSLC-enabled test tool (desktop app) which they want to configure to raise defects in the defect tracking system when a test fails. They open the configuration of the test tool, and it asks for a URL for the defect tracking system. They already have the defect tracking system open in a browser (viewing a page in a specific project), so they copy the URL from the browser's address bar into the configuration of the test tool. The test tool uses that link to find a container on the defect tracking system (for the project that the webpage was open at) that accepts defect resources being created. If it finds multiple such containers it asks the user which one to use (possibly using a selection dialog for this, if such a capability is standardised and available). It then stores the URL for that container in the test tool's project.

In short: using a URL for a web UI page in a particular project (or some other non-server-wide scope) of the server to programatically navigate & discover the Url for the desired container.

2. Server-scoped

The same user then opens another project in the test tool. They want to associate this test tool project with a different defect tracking system project on the same server. They've already pasted a URL to a page on the server in to the tool previously (story 1 above), so they don't want to do it again, they want the tool to have remembered the URL pasted before (at least to make it available when configuring the test tool project - not using it until the user explicitly asks it to). However, this time the user wants to navigate "up" out of that defect tracking system project to select a different project, and then find a container in that new project the same way as before.

In short: using a URL for a web UI page in a particular project of the server to programatically navigate to find other parent or sibling resources/containers on the server.

In addition to these stories, other concerns are:
- Ideally the user would be able to do this without the people implementing the server having to think too much about enabling this use case (chances are: they won't, based on experience of existing tools)
- I've come across people unwilling to do content negotiation to serve both RDF and HTML on a Url that was originally intended to be part of the web UI (e.g. not wanting to rely on browsers' Accept headers being correct, especially older versions of IE, and making it hard to browse the RDF by pasting the URL into the browser). So it would be good to have an alternative, e.g. Link headers.

Possible solutions include:
A. HEAD/OPTIONS with a Link header to a container for the current page's scope (to navigate up, that container would either have to have a link to its parent or a "root" container on the server, or support querying to find a contain which contains the container it found).
B. HEAD/OPTIONS with both a Link header to a container for the current page's scope, PLUS a Link header to a "root" container on the server.
C. Content negotiation for current page's scope's container, either with a link to parent/root container or a Link header to a server "root" conatiner. 9This wouldn't work very well to make it available on every page).

To make this work with EVERY web UI URL, we would have to make it a "best practise" to expose this on every page. A compromise might be to only suggest it's exposed on the server home page and any other page that could reasonably map to a container (e.g. a project's home page).

But I'm not too bothered about a particular solution, I'm more interested in having this scenario supported - to improve the usability of OSLC tools.

Any thoughts on the stories, or on potential solutions?

Martin

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/oslc-core/Discovery

http://open-