Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Resource Preview issues

Thanks for your input Samit.

This is where we were thinking about using the "Prefer" header, but then decided not to do that because we need to continue to support the old content type and there's no point in having two ways to do it.

However, now we're considering having multiple formats of compact representation (XML, JSON, full JSON-LD, Turtle) that makes it more complicated, so going back to the Prefer header (while keeping the old content type as a special case) is one option.

However I suggest (as stated in my recent email) we just stick with two formats: plain XML (RDF/XML subset) and plain JSON (JSON-LD subset) with "+xml" and "+json" content types, respectively. This avoids the complexity of having two different ways of requesting the compact representation (Accept and Prefer headers), but has the downside of not supporting Turtle.

Samit, what's your view on the downsides of server implementors having to support the legacy content type in addition to some other header? It sounds like you don't think it would be a problem, is that correct?

Kind regards,

Martin Pain
Software Developer - Green Hat
Rational Test Virtualization Server, Rational Test Control Panel

Phone: +44 (0)1962 815317 | Tie-Line: 37245317
E-mail:
martinpain@uk.ibm.com
Find me on:
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=99869908 and within IBM on: IBM Connections: https://w3-connections.ibm.com/profiles/html/profileView.do?userid=12c849c0-ddd5-1030-9b5f-d70a3a891
IBM

IBM United Kingdom Limited Registered in England and Wales with number 741598 Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hants. PO6 3AU