Subject: Re: [oslc-core] "Common properties" resource shape vs simple table (Re: [oslc-core] Version Control Commit by jamsden)

Martin,
I'm still struggling with getting ReSpec to work in my file system and after checkin - https seems to be causing difficulties, the shapes aren't displaying properly. Working on that now.

Regarding common properties, I found a good solution which I intended to summarize in a note indicating core-vocab.html is ready for TC review - but the shape rendering problems held up that note.

The solution is that ResourceShape does not require an oslc:describes property - meaning you can create a ResourceShape that doesn't constrain anything. This is intended to support shapes that could be applied to anything as needed - exactly what we want with common properties. This seems like a reasonable compromise that:
1. doesn't define any root OSLC resource
2. doesn't require any of the properties - they're all optional
3. uses a uniform way of displaying properties in the specs using ReSpec
4. provides the common properties in a machine readable Turtle file like any other shape properties.

Unfortunately, ReSpec doesn't handle the situation where oslc:describes is either missing, or refers to a class that isn't defined in any vocabulary. The use of oslc:describes oslc:Any is just a work around to get the shape to render until this bug is fixed. Then that can be removed.

I also had to use oslc:Any on the Preson ResourceShape. foaf:Person didn't work because the namespace URI for FOAF doesn't appear to Accept text/turtle.  I haven't figured out how to fix this yet.

Jim Amsden, Senior Technical Staff Member
OSLC and Linked Lifecycle Data
919-525-6575

From:        "Martin P Pain" <martinpain@uk.ibm.com>
To:        oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org
Date:        12/22/2015 03:51 AM
Sent by:        <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>

Two pieces of feedback/questions for this check-in:

1. When we talked about the common properties in the meeting on 10th Dec, I believe the conclusion was to "use a human-written table rather than using the tool to communicate the "common" properties", as noted in the minutes.  (Although we didn't note that it was an agreement/conclusion). That is, listing them similar to the description of JSON properties in dialogs/previews. As it's not a shape (it's not constraints), it's a list of properties. There's no point using the spec2shape tool if it's not a good fit, and your difficulties are suggesting that it's not a good fit, and others have suggested shapes semantically not accurate for common properties. I know you got disconnected Jim, so weren't included in the last part of the discussion.
Can any one else confirm or deny my recollection of last meeting?

2. Also, is there a precedent for using `oslc:Any` as the object of an `oslc:describes` property? I can't actually find the definition of oslc:Any.