Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Groups - Ballot opened: "Resource shapes additional constraint"

Martin,
The issue being address is what SHOULD means for resources satisfying constraints of applicable shapes. This doesn't specify what compliant implementations do if the resource DO satisfy the constraints (MUST behave as defined in the OSLC specs) or what compliant implementations do if the resource DOESN'T satisfy the constraints (MAY do something sensible).

The discussion on this is summarized in OSLCCORE-45

Jim Amsden, Senior Technical Staff Member
OSLC and Linked Lifecycle Data
919-525-6575

From:        "Martin P Pain" <martinpain@uk.ibm.com>
To:        oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org
Date:        02/10/2016 05:50 AM
Sent by:        <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>

The wording "client and server implementations MUST behave as described in the defining OSLC specifications" seems very vague.

(I had a quick look through the recent minutes to see if I could find any discussion on this that would clarify the intention, but I couldn't see any.)

As someone who isn't already aware of the intention of the new paragraph, it isn't clear to me from the proposed wording what the intention is. The proposed paragraph seems to be focused on the SHOULD - allowing implementations to determine for themselves what they should do with resources that don't satisfy their shapes. But the description of the ballot suggests that it's the insertion of the MUST that was the intention.

Martin