Subject: Email to Arthur about oslc.properties with OSLC Query

Following up on an action, here is a copy of the email I have sent to Arthur (but not disclosed his private email address here):

Hi Arthur,

I'm working on a draft OSLC Query 3.0 specification and the OSLC Core technical committee asked that I email you about the use of oslc.properties and oslc.select in OSLC Queries to get some clarification since you were a key contributor to the Query 2.0 specification.

It is the TC's understanding that:
  1. oslc.properties (selective properties) was originally intended to support clients GETting a subset of a resource's properties.
  2. When used with a GET on a query base URI, it acts using the query base URI as its starting subject, whereas oslc.select acts using each query result member's subject.

Is our understanding is correct?

If so, the use of oslc.properties on an OSLC Query seems to add little value. A query result container (whose subject is the query base URI) has very few properties. Its content is mostly a reference to the member resources found by the query, and omitting those references does not seem to satisfy any use case we can think of. The TC is considering removing oslc.properties from the OSLC Query 3.0 specification because it just seems to add unnecessary confusion. However, if there is a real use case for oslc.properties in an OSLC Query, we would like to use that as an example to explain the difference between oslc.properties and oslc.select. Can you think of such a use case?

Thanks,
David
Unless stated otherwise above: