Subject: Re: [oslc-core] OSLC query, vote on query results container MUST be an LDPC

The motivation behind using LDPCs was for consistency with OSLC Core 3.0's recommendation that containers be LDPCs. We already have specifications such as Configuration Management describe LDPCs, and a GET on those are almost certainly going to be implemented as a query. One might imagine that an implementation would want to share code for producing the response for this usage and for query usage. The query refers to resource paging in core, and that section describes both OSLC 2.0 paging and LDP paging. It would be inconsistent if query then described and showed examples that were not LDPCs.

The only open issue we have currently is whether the LDPC is a MUST (which was voted on and passed) or a SHOULD (what I originally had), and that arose because Nick raised the topic in his review comments but could not recall voting in favour of MUST in the meeting on 2018-07-19.

We have already had at least 3 rounds of discussion on this topic, and at no time did anyone propose dropping the use of LDPCs from the query spec. We have to reach a conclusion so we can move forwards, and I thought we had already achieved that through earlier review and a formal vote. Reconsidering the MUST/SHOULD decision only involves a trivial change to the spec. Given the previous vote was contentious with 2 people voting "0", one might argue there is justification in voting again on the proposal for MUST vs SHOULD. Removing all references to LDPCs is a much bigger change and might even impact core, requiring that the resource paging be split into two subsections so that query can refer to just one of the two paging mechanisms.

Jim, if you feel strongly about query using LDPCs at all, could you please submit a new issue with your proposal. Nick may be unable to participate in the meeting on 2018-10-11, and I will be unable to attend on 2018-10-18 or 2018-10-25. This means that the earliest we might discuss and vote on such a proposal is probably the meeting on 2018-11-01, and this would delay any proposal to publish the Query CSD, and maybe the core CSD,  for public review until after that.

Best regards,
David

From:        "Jim Amsden" <jamsden@us.ibm.com>
To:        "OSLC Core TC (oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org)" <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        04/10/2018 20:38
Sent by:        <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>

I remain concerned that we are introducing a technical "cleanup" that doesn't really add any significant new value in the context of OSLC query, while resulting in something that we know will break all existing implementations.

If we reduce the question to whether the results of an OSLC query should be an LDPC or not, perhaps we can answer that question by asking what its URI is, what link headers it would support on OPTIONS and HEAD, etc. That's what distinguishes an LDPC, its capabilities.

It seems like OSLC query member results are not really RDF resources, or LDPCs, they're just an interchange format for returning a result set. SPARQL took a different approach, one that easily supports ordering.

I think we are on the verge of over complicating already over complicated OSLC query (especially compared to its complexity vs capability ratio) for purposes that have limited business value. I tend to think we should just pick rdf:member and be done, we don't need all the complexity that has been added by LDP or membership resources just to return a simple result set consisting of URIs.

Jim Amsden, Senior Technical Staff Member

OSLC and Linked Lifecycle Data

919-525-6575