Subject: Re: [oslc-core] OSLC query, vote on query results container MUST be an LDPC

Perhaps if there's any doubt re: MUST or SHOULD, maybe we should us SHOULD?

Jim Amsden, Senior Technical Staff Member
OSLC and Linked Lifecycle Data
919-525-6575

From:        "Nicholas Crossley" <nick_crossley@us.ibm.com>
To:        oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org
Date:        10/05/2018 09:39 PM
Sent by:        <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>

I recall the earlier discussions now. My thinking at the time was that, yes, this would make OSLC 3 incompatible with OSLC 2, in that existing OSLC 2 servers would be incompatible. However, a server that wanted to be compatible with OSLC 3, and that did not already provide a query base that was an LDPC could convert its existing query base to be an LDPC by adding the necessary link headers and properties, including an ldp:hasMemberRelationpredicate defining the existing query result relationship.

Since the additional link headers and properties could be ignored by clients, this change would be upwards compatible.

The advantage to going in this direction with the spec is that future clients could then rely on there being an
ldp:hasMemberRelationpredicate to find the results; with OSLC 2 query, clients have to know or guess at the result predicate, since it is not well defined, and does vary between existing servers.  This existing variance is also why I do not believe we can do as Jim suggests and reduce the spec to requiring one fixed predicate such as rdfs:member.

That existing variance is a significant problem in writing generic OSLC query clients today, so I think the decision as to whether the spec says the result MUST or SHOULD be an LDPC is a tradeoff between the benefit in reducing this lack of precision in the 2.0 spec vs. the cost of making a server OSLC 3.0 compliant. Since there is no rush to make such OSLC 3.0 compliant servers, and since the change is upwards compatible, I now tend to lean to my original vote in the minutes found by David, and withdraw my suggestion of weakening it to a SHOULD. However, since a SHOULD clause does provide guidance to any future implementations, I do not feel this is critical, and I'd accept either SHOULD or MUST. I do think the spec should call out use of an LDPC here, as that is the obvious way to avoid perpetuating the problem of an undefined result predicate, and as David mentioned, we have other existing uses of the Linked Data Platform in TRS and Configuration Management, so the 3.0 specs do rely on LDP and LDPCs anyway.

Nick.