Subject: Question on migrating OSLC Core TC infrastructure to GitHub

Chet,
We got some outside feedback that indicated some frustration with accessing OSLC Core information. We believe part of that frustration results from the separation of OSLC specification development activities at OASIS from ecosystem support for using OSLC at open-services.net, and the ongoing, but incomplete effort to migrate open-services.net to a new infrastructure at http://oslc.co.

We also believe that it may be due to fragmented and loosely integrate infrastructure used by OSLC Core which is Subversion SCM, JIRA, MainMain Wiki, and Kavi document publishing.

The OSLC Core TC is managing four different OSLC specifications, one of which consists of seven parts. We have three new specifications that are in the process of getting ready for their initial public review. So we are looking at significant specification development effort for some time. In addition, many of the Core TC members are also members of the OSLC Domains TC which currently uses GitHub.

The OSLC Core TC would like to consider migrating to GitHub in order to use a single infrastructure for all OSLC specification development activities, to provide a simpler, more efficient set of specification lifecycle management capabilities for the TC members, and to improve the external user experience.

Is this feasible?

Is it something the TAB would recommend and support?

Is it possible to migrate to GitHub for future specification development work, but maintain the existing Subversion SCM, JIRA, MainMain Wiki for historical purposes?

Can a TC have more than one GitHub repository? The Core TC might wish to develop some of the specifications more independently (OSLC Query, Tracked Resource Sets, Configuration Management and Core for example)?

Jim Amsden, Senior Technical Staff Member
OSLC and Linked Lifecycle Data
919-525-6575