oslc-domains message

Subject: Re: [oslc-domains] oslc:range oslc:AnyResource or more specific resource type?

Jim,

Thank you, I think the points you raise are valid and acting on any of my suggestions would threaten breaking compat. I also think that w/o constraining anything the shapes do not carry any force. It's almost like teasing someone "oslc:serviceProvider" should point to something that at least has type oslc:serviceProvider but hey, it can also point to whatever the developers wish.

At this point, I would just suggest to leave OSLC Shapes be and consider adding W3C SHACL support that has much stricter semantics regarding conformance and other matters.

/A

On 2019-01-18 , at 16:41, Jim Amsden <jamsden@us.ibm.com> wrote:

The problem with constraining the links to specific types ends up limiting integration options if the integrated tools have limited extensibility. Its also keeping things in the spirit of RDF open-world assumptions, and not using resource shapes to over-constrain the vocabularies so they become brittle, fixed data structures.

Any server implementation is free to add additional constraints for its purposes. So not putting them in the standard makes sense. It easier to add constraints than remove them.

Version headers aren't needed as long as the variability is discoverable.

Jim Amsden, Senior Technical Staff Member
OSLC and Linked Lifecycle Data
919-525-6575