oslc-promcode message

Subject: Comments on Proposed Change to Measure

TC Members,

I reviewed the proposed change from two weeks ago. [1] You added "unit of
measure" to Measure, which is good. However you propose to use strings
instead of URIs to identify the unit of measure:
"- Unit is a String type for light weight usage. URI seems a little too
strict for our usage."

This can lead to problems. At OSLC and in IBM Rational we have found that
when we allow people to use a string as the value of an attribute, e.g.
for work item severity or priority, then everyone uses something
different. This makes it very difficult to write queries that combine data
from projects that come from different teams or organizations, speaking
possibly different languages.

In the OSLC CM V3.0 spec, new URIs are defined for priority and severity.
[2] In general, it is useful to define standard URIs for important
concepts, and to precisely define these concepts in a vocabulary document.
That is how the OSLC EMS specification handles units of measure. Recall
that the first principle of Linked Data is to use URIs as names for
things. [3]

[1]
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oslc-promcode/download.php/53645/meeting-note-07232014.doc
[2]
http://open-services.net/wiki/change-management/Specification-3.0/#Resource_Severity
[3] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html

Regards,
Arthur Ryman, PhD

Chief Data Officer, Rational
Chief Architect, Portfolio & Strategy Management
Distinguished Engineer | Master Inventor | Academy of Technology

Toronto Lab | +1-905-413-3077 (office) | +1-416-939-5063 (mobile)