pbd-se message

Subject: MS Link and Profile

Folks - my apologies for missing most of the last few meetings. I've been swamped and driving another standard but I plan to be more attentive and visible (audible?) going forward.

Privacy Concept - here is the link that I mentioned link on MS - as I mentioned there are definitely issues there but there are some areas of guidance: http://www.microsoft.com/security/sdl/discover/sdlagile-onetime.aspx

One of the things that we'll want to do is to take the high-level guidance and principles and see how they apply to Agile methodologies. One of the tenets of most Agile approaches is the minimize what is done in the first place - a data minimization guidance about privacy will dovetail very nicely with that approach.

Profile:

I have over 16 years of software development in creating commercial, government, and military software. These systems have ranged from very Agile one-off tools through to command and control systems that are in use around the world (e.g. worldwide aeronautical and martime search and rescue still uses software I created in the late 1990s).

Business wise I have done this development under a consulting role and as a founder of a software company running tiny to medium size teams (20-25 architects, devs, testers).

My software development lifecycle approaches have ranged from very rigid waterfall, to iterative, to very Agile. Similarly, the systems I have worked on have used procedural and object-oriented languages.

As far as modelling and providing a common vocabulary I think that UML is key here. I have used UML under all of the design/SDLC methodologies with success. When dealing with more archaic systems there is a concept of using UML in a military (DoD and UK MoD, and partially DND) context using a UML profile called "Unified Profile for DODAF and MODAF" - UPDM (http://www.omg.org/spec/UPDM/). This system works well at many levels of detail. I'm not sure how directly applicable it is here, but some of the concepts help.

On a partially related item I also chair the OASIS Emergency Management Hospital AVailability Exchange (HAVE) Sub Committee. In that role I informally interface and monitor some of the HL7 activity, but I am by no means expert there.

Here's some more detail: http://www.linkedin.com/in/darrellodonnell

cheers,

Darrell

--