pbd-se message

Subject: RE: PBD-SE TC meeting documentation - 18 September 2013

Hei Fred.

Good work.

Some comments on the documents.

Proposal for privacy Use Case Template Test Use Case

General: It is a good thing to have such a template, however, I do not support following it be a mandatory condition for conformance to the OASIS PbD-SE specification. Within my organization we have business units that use different templates but can achieve sufficient PbD results that are equivalent. If the goal for filling in such a template is to have sufficient background information to conduct a DFD, then this can be overkill for many situations. This template includes level of detail that would be used in a design document for a product and I do not see a need to duplicate design documents within privacy engineering.

Section 8, “Control Categories”: I do not think these three categories make sense. Either the control/safeguard categories should be tied to the privacy principles they re-enforce (EG, See NIST SP 800-53, Appendix J) or they categories should reflect industry agreed categories for security controls (IE, Physical, Procedural, Technical, Legal and/or Regulatory).

PbD Principle 2

I found this document useful for drilling down on the PbD principle in terms a software engineer would understand. But this becomes a guidance document. What I mean is that this reflects BCP checklist for an engineer. I have not had time to get feedback from other Nokia engineers on the utility of this compared to the Privacy Data Lifecycle set of BCP activities that I shared earlier with the list. Not sure which approach is most useful, yet.

Similar document/sections for the other 6 foundation principles would make for good reading.

Chapter 4 - Software Architecture in Practice

What is the purpose for sharing? Just info sharing?

Frank/