pbd-se message

Subject: RE: [pbd-se] OASIS Specification Approach

Hei Stuart.

“…accomplish the first one…”

I looked through the January minutes and it clearly identifies the “wd03” draft as the basis of our work. I did not read anything in the minutes that indicated we would define normatively, in this specification what privacy activities apply to software engineering PbD.

If you look at this draft of the specification (https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/pbd-se/download.php/50989/pbd-se-v1%200-wd03.doc) it is clear to me that the outline and content, as draft as it may have been, was focused on identifying what privacy engineering activities need to be accounted for in software engineering to follow Privacy by Design.

The 2nd topic in my email was specific to the codification of templates that will be endorsed by the specification. My understanding has been that we should include an informative annex of examples and their usage but that these were not a part of the normative clauses.

My comments and contribution on “checklist” are specific to forging a structure that lends itself for software engineers use of the specification to understand what activities, documentation they should have at various stages of the product creation lifecycle. The checklist that I contributed is agnostic of PDLC method but specific to what an engineer should focus on at the start of a project, in the implementation phases and as the product is released.

My thought was that Section 4 would be a set of annexes with example templates/formats and that section 3 would outline the principles that a software engineer will have to comprehend in applying privacy engineering. Then a new section 4 would consist of a normative description of the privacy engineering activities to be completed to support the principles in section 3 using the templates from the informative annexes. This is where the checklist might be provided in the new section 4, as a diagram/illustration, to show when the status and documentation for these privacy engineering activities needs to be revisited and verified.

Checklists do not define process/methodology, such as a PIA does, but instead act as a flexible tool to communicate to the team and verify amongst the team status of activities, so miscommunication and undone actions do not lead to baking lack of privacy into products.

Frank/