pbd-se message

Subject: Re: [pbd-se] PROPOSED AGENDA - PbD-SE TC - 11 June 2014

Thanks Frank for sending these along. We will do due diligence around them. We tabled item 4 for another day.
Best
Dawn

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 11, 2014, at 12:36 PM, <frank.dawson@nokia.com> wrote:

Hello PbD-Seers.

I am sorry that will my work load I have not had adequate bandwidth to give the WD4 an adequate editorial review. However, I did want to make known, for the record, my concern about moving this document to Committee Specification Draft.

My apologies for missing the call today. Hopefully, my colleague, Frederick Hirsch can join, but I am busy still at work, here in Finland.

Agenda item #4 for today’s call asks for group to approve the WD4 to be approved as a Committee Specification Draft.

I am concerned that the WD4 is still at a working draft product quality. As a Committee Specification Draft, I expect that the following editorial errors would not have been found

1)      A Committee Specification Draft document needs to meet product quality levels that this Working Document does reflect. The document text has not been edited for consistent language use, as it shows multiple-editor’s style of writing and needs to be put into one OASIS specification style of writing. The document has numerous vernacular usage of English (e.g., use of “app” instead of “application”) that needs editing out of the document.

2)      While the document has improved as a Working Draft it still contains significant mistakes (e.g., §2.1.2.2 is titled, “Limiting Collection, Use, and Retention” and the following sub-section 2.1.2.3 is titled “Limiting Collection” and §2.1.2.2 the last bullet states “•              in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.”, which is not related to the titled section).

3)      This document is a Standards Track document and needs to have a completely specified Conformance Clause (see OASIS Policies-Guidelines §2.18 Work Product Quality, (8a)). Clause 5.9 is not structured in accordance. While the proposal is to move this to Committee SpecificIt only lists Table 4.1 in another clause as the conformance elements.

4)      The use of “conformance” in this version of the document is inconsistent. Some places it refers to what the software engineering processes must follow to be conformance to the specification. In other places it refers to, inappropriately to privacy regulation compliance, but states “privacy conformance”. This puts into serious question the readiness as a Committee Specification Draft.

5)      The use of conformance terminology such as “SHALL” in “Table 4.1. Mapping of Privacy-by-Design Principles to Software Engineering Referenced and Generated Documentation” is overtly prescriptive. However, the Introduction clearly states, in part, “The PbD-SE specification does not represent a prescriptive set of rules”. The document needs more editing to narrow the use of conformance terms to scope intended by an OASIS standards track document. Additionally, a mix of “must” and “shall” is found within the document.

6)      In addition, Table 4.1 confuses requirements for organizational privacy governance with business process requirements. These two need to be undone. This specification is about specification of requirements for software engineering processes to be conformant to best practices for privacy engineering.  Organizational privacy governance is not within the scope for this specification.

We should take this document through another round of review and update.

Frank/