pkcs11-comment message

Subject: Re: [pkcs11-comment] Re: Request for vendor defined mechanism allocation

On 05/21/2019 04:15 PM, Chakrabarti, Somesh wrote:

Thank you for the response.

The new mechanism we want to expose is for AES GCM â it will prepend the internally generated IV to the ciphertext and enforce that pIV in the CK_GCM_PARAMS struct is set to NULL so that user expectations are clearly set. I have not yet searched the PKCS11 3.0 specification for something equivalent.

Somesh

The New Message interface adds generated IV's. The existing mechanism would require the token to keep some non-standard magic state that transcends the session state because each AES_GCM message is closed off by the C_Finalize() operation. The new message based operation allows mechanism specific parameters on each message, so a new IV can be returned on each individual message.

From: "Fenwick, Valerie" <valerie.fenwick@intel.com>
Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 10:40 AM
To: "Chakrabarti, Somesh" <someshc@amazon.com>, "pkcs11-comment@lists.oasis-open.org" <pkcs11-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi Somesh â

We donât reserve ranges of vendor defined mechanisms, other than what range they can be in. That is, 2 separate vendors may use the same IDs, which require the applications to understand what libraries they are calling into and the expected behavior.

What are the mechanisms for? We have many new mechanisms coming out in PKCS#11 v3.0 and you may find your needs are already met by the standard.

Thank you,

Valerie