Subject: PKCS 11 TC and other standards groups

Hi –

The OASIS “Liaison Policy” (https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/liaison) describes the goal and process for TCs that want to set up formal relationships with other working groups or technical committees:

“An OASIS TC or MS may desire to have a relationship with a working group or technical committee of another organization, by having one or more persons act as liaison representative(s) between the two groups. The selection of the liaison and any invitation to other organizations to provide a liaison should be by vote of the relevant TC…. Ideally a liaison relationship is accomplished by selecting a person who is a member of both the OASIS TC or MS, as well as the working group of the other organization to communicate between the two.”

There is certainly lots of standards activity relevant to PKCS #11 and we’re free to elect as many liaisons as we want. But I think it makes sense to establish a formal liaison relationship only where we see significant value in coordination and communication between our TC and some other group.

In that regard, there are a couple of groups for which I’d like to suggest electing a liaison:

·         OASIS KMIP TC (https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=kmip  ). There is significant mutual membership across the PKCS 11 and KMIP TCs, reflecting the complementary nature of the technology in these TCS.  We might want to establish a formal liaison, in case there are particular requests for enhancements or integration between our TCs.

·         W3C Web Cryptography Working Group (http://www.w3.org/2012/webcrypto/). The goal of this effort is to “define an API that lets developers implement secure application protocols on the level of Web applications, including message confidentiality and authentication services, by exposing trusted cryptographic primitives from the browser. This will promote higher security insofar as Web application developers will no longer have to create their own or use untrusted third-party libraries for cryptographic primitives.” (http://www.w3.org/2011/11/webcryptography-charter.html). I don’t know of any PKCS 11 TC members who are already part of the webcrypto working group, but there are several organizations, such as CISCO, that might well be interested in participating in PKCS 11 as liaison.

Any other groups anyone has in mind?

Regards,

Bob