Subject: Re: [pkcs11] fwd: CKM_PKCS5_PBKD2_PARAMS struct: password length

On 10/04/2013 7:36 AM, Michael StJohns wrote:
I'd leave it as is.  It's consistent in the text and in the header files.   If it needs to be changed, then the proper way is to define a new structure and mechanism and leave this one intact.

And I'm going to have to disagree here - in that the text itself does not support the typographical error in the structure definition.
It states:

ulPasswordLen           length in bytes of the password information

All the other references to CK_ULONG_PTR have a clear description along these lines:

pulOutputLen            pointer to the length in bytes that the output to be created shall have, has to hold the desired length as input and will receive the calculated length as output

That the prose did not state "pointer to" means that it is not documented as being a pointer reference.
And yes I do realise that there are other references to pointer types which don't start with pointer in their description (and they should) but there are only three CK_ULONG_PTR references in mechanism parameters - and the other two explicitly state "pointer to".
Those descriptions that don't state pointer to that are actually pointers should be updated IMHO - the vast majority of items in the specification explicitly state pointer to - but there are some exceptions.

It's unfortunate that no one has raised this before as clearly vendors have noticed it and made a choice (one way or the other).

Leaving this little mess alone and not fixing it wouldn't be my preference - this like this which are clearly being interpreted differently by vendors should be fixed and now is the right time to fix it before we cement this in an OASIS specification.

Tim.