Subject: FW: [pkcs11] CKA_PUBLIC_KEY_INFO

-----Original Message-----
From: pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org] On
Behalf Of Burns, Robert
Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2013 6:22 AM
To: Peter Gutmann; msj@nthpermutation.com
Cc: pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [pkcs11] CKA_PUBLIC_KEY_INFO

Peter,

Oh, ok -- perhaps I was looking at this wrong.

You are proposing this mechanism to fix the issue of non-RSA keys not having
the appropriate public bits, rather than the mechanism for tying the keys
together with a cert?  (e.g. the ECDSA private key issue...)  If so, I got
that wrong.

If my interpretation is correct, shouldn't this be solved similar to how the
RSA private key handles it?  That is, but requiring the public key
attributes on the object too?  Maybe easier said than done, but given this
is something you're intimate with, what are the issues associated with
adding all the public bits to each private key object?

Finally, tangent to our DER discussion, using these public key blobs on the
private keys would then REQUIRE all tokens be able to DER decode them to
make effective use of the public bits, contradicting the assertion that most
tokens won't need to DER decode anything.

Bob