Subject: Clarifying what is meant by "deprecation"

Hi –

In the KMIP TC, we found it useful to establish a committee rule that established deprecation practices for our purposes. Our intent was to discourage the use of functionality that is deprecated while minimizing the impact on existing implementations that may have used that functionality, at least until a major (eg. V3.0) version.

Here’s the rule we adopted in that TC:

Deprecation Rule

Upon approval from the KMIP TC, items in the normative KMIP Specification document can be marked “deprecated” in any document version, but will be removed only in a major version. Similarly, conformance clauses or other normative information in the KMIP Profiles document can be deprecated in any document version, but removed only in a major version. Information in the non-normative KMIP Use Cases, KMIP Usage Guide and KMIP Test Cases documents may be removed in any document version.

I’d like to consider adopting a similar rule in the PKCS 11 TC and will put the item on the agenda for our meeting in 2 weeks (15-May).

Thanks!

Bob