Subject: Re: [pkcs11] Proposal: CKM_SHA512_224, CKM_SHA512_256, CKM_SHA512_T

On 08/05/13 11:29, Michael StJohns wrote:
On 8/5/2013 1:32 PM, Dina Kurktchi wrote:

On 08/05/13 10:10, Michael StJohns wrote:
I took a look at this. I don't have a problem with the general addition
of SHA512/224 and SHA512/256 to the pot, but I think I'm still not happy
(as previously discussed) with adding a set of mechanism types that does
nothing but truncate the result of the other mechanisms.

The IV is different for each of the SHA512/t hashes. Thus:
trunc( SHA512(text) , 224 ) != SHA512/224( text ),
nor is
trunc( SHA512/256(text) , 224) != SHA512/224( text ).
It is not SHA512(text) "classic" truncated to some shorter length.

I was talking about the CKM_SHA512_T etc mechanisms. Not the above.
Section 1.3 on in your document.

Aha.  I was hoping to leave an opening for SHA-512/160, which
is not NIST-approved.  It is 20 bytes long and fits perfectly
into boxed-in spaces formerly containing SHA-1 digests.  (Wish
NIST had included /160 ... or explained why it wasn't approved.)

I note also that this proposal has new key types CKK_SHA512_224_HMAC et
al - I think I agree with this, but did we actually agree to do these
changes with 2.40? (E.g. adding mechanism specific typing for keys?) I
was under the impression that it was a substantial enough change that
affected a lot of things that it was deferred to 3.0.

Followed the example of the other CKK_*_HMAC that I found in spec.

*sigh* Yes. They are there. *sigh* Unfortunately there is still a
problem with your text. In the CKM_SHA1_HMAC there is a statement that
is missing from your text:
The keys it uses are
generic secret keys and CKK_SHA_1_HMAC.

Or in your case CKK_SHA512_224_HMAC.

E.g. you've got a manifest definition with no normative text to describe
how that key is used - we can infer, but...

I see.  I patterned mine off the SHA-512 text, so I missed whatever
was back in the SHA-1 section.  Yep, some attention here is warranted.

The whole key usage for keyed CMAC's and HMAC's text (in the document,
not your proposal) needs to be re-worked and cleaned up. Mostly these
still use CKK_GENERIC_SECRET. I'd be happier if they used CKK_HMAC
rather than something more specific and let the key creator use the
CKA_ALLOWED_MECHANISMS attribute to lock the key to a particular HMAC
algorithm.

Add it to the list of bugs to resolve.

Mike

If this goes to ballot for 2.40, I'd like it to be a split ballot with
yes/no for the two different groups of mechanisms.

I'm not sure what to do about the new CKK_ stuff.

Sure, if it needs splitting, I can accommodate.

Thanks!

D.

Mike