Subject: Ballot on Revised DSA mechanism proposal

Point of order I think?

I went back and reviewed the bidding on this proposal - it's current 5/2/1. But almost all of the yes votes are "contingent" on fixing a bunch of stuff. My understanding of the process is that typo's and such can be fixed, but that substantive changes are pretty much forbidden.

As I read the proposal, (and in fact even a few of the comments with Yes votes seem to read this way) there are substantive changes needed not just editorial. I'm particularly nervous about backwards compatibility - specifically CKA_SUBPRIME_BITS is now (per the document and per Relyea's comment) a required attribute for parameter generation. It wasn't a required attribute for parameter generation for 2.20 or 2.30 (and I'm not even sure it was a permitted item). That means that a current application that currently works generating DSA parameters is going to get an error if it attempts to generate against a 2.40 HSM.

AFAIK we're trying not to do backwards incompatible changes in this go around.

I'd really like to ask those who have voted yes or planning on voting yes to consider this point specifically as I don't think it can be fixed as an editorial change.

Mike