Subject: Re: [pkcs11] Proposal: CKM_SHA512_224, CKM_SHA512_256, CKM_SHA512_T

On 7/08/2013 6:16 AM, Michael StJohns wrote:
> Let's address this on the call.  I don't have a big problem with
> updating and clarifying references being considered "editorial"
> changes, but others might.

For reference, the official OASIS definition (which is left up to each
TC member to determine whether or not they feel any change is outside
the scope of this definition) is noted at
https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process#dNonmaterialChange

"Non-Material Change" is any change to the content of a Work Product
that does not add or remove any feature of the Work Product and that:
(a) constitutes only error corrections, editorial changes, or formatting
changes; or (b) is a pro forma change to content required by TC
Administration.

It is generally accepted that updating references, adding clarifying
test, fixing typographic errors, general clean up of prose are all
within the definition of what constituents a non-material change.

Changing an item from optional to mandatory would not be within the
definition - tying this back to Mike's comments on the DSA proposal.
On the DSA ballot at
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/pkcs11/ballot.php?id=2458
I noted "Assuming the typos noted by Oscar are fixed this looks good to
me - but Mike's comments and Bob's response I think are an item to
perhaps go into the usage guide." (with the Bob being referred to in
that context being Bob Relyea).

Changing the SUBPRIME behaviour from mandatory to optional (with a
default) which is not what is in the proposal would require an updated
proposal and another ballot.  It is not something which can be
conditionally voted into a balloted proposal via comments.

Tim.