Subject: Re: [pkcs11] Groups - TLS 1.2 mechanisms uploaded

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Michael StJohns <msj@nthpermutation.com> wrote:

> I'm adding a TLS PRF based mechanism that can only be used for key
> derivation.   The name is CMK_TLS12_KDF and accepts a label, set of random
> values and an optional context per that RFC.
>
> I figured out that you don't have to provide an output structure to produce
> multiple keys - instead do a second (third, fourth etc) derivation from the
> produced key stream using one of the trivial kdf functions -
> CKM_EXTRACT_KEY_FROM_KEY to break up the key stream.

Correct.

> I may ask the CCM/GCM author to propose a new mechanism that gets its IVs
> from somewhere else.  For TLS1.3, I'm thinking that inserting a key
> derivation step between the key generation and IV generation step might work
> - e.g. derive 4 keys plus an IV subkey.  From the IV sub key derive the two
> IVs.

For TLS 1.3 we can also call the TLS PRF with a new label to generate the IVs.

Alternatively, we can define a new AES-GCM mechanism that takes the
implicit nonce as a generic secret key. NIST SP 800-38D Section 9.1
seems to recommend that the implicit nonce for AES GCM be kept inside
a crypto module:

    2. The IV shall be a critical security parameter as defined in
FIPS Pub. 140-2 until the
        authenticated encryption function is invoked with the IV.
Prior to this invocation, the IV
        shall be provided the same protection as other critical
security parameters in a module
        that is validated to the requirements in FIPS Pub. 140-2.

Wan-Teh