Subject: RE: [pkcs11] Strong User authentication - Discussion thread

Hi Mike

Well, I guess it’s as much a password as anything that’s a blob of data is a password, just that I wanted to make the mechanism somewhat generic in terms of it being able to exchange data back and forth as much as is needed within the bounds of this call.  Also, with the biometrics bit, it can get a bit more interesting, since the pass/fail is somewhat qualitative by nature.  Most matcher implementations either take a threshold score (and return a true/false) or return a threshold score to something external that decides the true / false condition.

As you point out, today it is basically an “unlocked for the duration of the session” login.  I would suggest that we do take a careful look at this, as it may not be the best approach on a go forward basis.  Most other auth models are a bit more flexible than that these days.  Our marshaling layer is entirely transport agnostic, so you can, for example, use something like SSL to connect to the token if you wish.  I sort of intuitively thought it made more sense to allow any arbitrary transport to work rather than trying to define one size fits all for this purpose.

--Chris

From: Michael StJohns [mailto:msj@nthpermutation.com]
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2013 12:38 PM
To: Chris Zimman; pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Chris -

I did something similar to this as a modification to the Utimaco PKCS11.  That was mainly because I needed to sign not only a challenge, but the whole serialized call to set up the login.    But I did it by passing in the callback lib and entry point as a string to a call to C_SetAttributeValue to a well known object "P11_CFG_GLOBAL_HDL" for a CKA_UTIM_CALLBACK attribute.   It requires multiple calls, but seemed to be cleaner than passing in the data through the PIN pointer (and was actually doable via Java).

The biometrics thing is interesting - but isn't it  just another form of password?  Couldn't you actually just pass it as a PIN?

Some further thoughts:

The current PKCS11 model is mostly an "unlocking" model - you provide your credentials and the token is unlocked for use.  Uses after login are not further authenticated - you assume the security of the path from the user through to the token.  Obviously, that's not sufficient for the use of a token over a network connection so various vendors have designed protections for the network link that are mostly transparent to PKCS11 use (I say mostly as you get the normal set of network based comms failures that PKCS11 doesn't have error codes for).

Should we be thinking about the user to token path security and thinking about standard methods?   I ask this in the context of strong authentication.

So

1) Strong auth - unlocking:  Challenge/Signature or something similar.  Opens the token for use, but doesn't create any further security context.  No changes past C_Login if there.

2) Strong auth - secure link:  An authenticated exchanges of some sort that results in a key and association between the user and the token.  Each further call to the token is integrity and optionally confidentiality protected by the key and association.    Changes would include being able to serialize each PKCS11 call in some way so that they can be signed/encrypted.

Not proposing (2) - just mentioning it as the problem seems to have occurs repeatedly for most of the vendors I'm aware of.

Mike