Subject: Re: [pkcs11] User types - discussion thread

On 10/25/2013 1:16 PM, Chris Zimman wrote:
Hi Mike

Yes, we manage the users through an external mechanism.  As you're aware, PKCS11 doesn't really have the notion of add/delete/change privs in the existing API.  I wanted to preserve compatability.

OK. I may try and define a CKO_USER_CREDENTIALS object - I think that may work for doing things similar to what you do.

The structure is passed as a void * to the PIN argument and sizeof(CK_EXTENDED_LOGIN) for the length argument.

That's what I thought. Unfortunately, that won't work well with the Java PKCS11 implementation due to strong typing. Void pointers are to be avoided. :-)

In my implementation, there is a table/attribute driven state machine that allows you to define somewhat arbitrary rules for each type of C_* operation via callbacks.

typedef struct {
     CK_ATTRIBUTE_TYPE   attr_type;
     CK_BBOOL            	token_impl_specific;
     CK_RV               	(*set)(CK_ATTRIBUTE *);
     CK_RV               	(*validate)(CK_ATTRIBUTE *);
} bpkcs11_vendor_attr_list_item;

An example of how this is used looks something like this:

static bpkcs11_vendor_attr_list_item bpkcs11_vendor_attrs[] = {
     { CKA_OWNER_UUID,                   		CK_TRUE,        set_uuid,			validate_uuid		    },
     { CKA_ALLOWED_USE_TIME_START,       	CK_TRUE,        set_use_time_start,	validate_use_time_start  },
     { CKA_ALLOWED_USE_TIME_STOP,        	CK_TRUE,        set_use_time_stop 	validate_use_time_stop  },
     { CKA_EXPORT_SHARE_REQUIRED,     	CK_TRUE,        set_share_exp_req,	validate_share_exp_req  },
     { CKA_EXPORT_SHARE_REQUIRED_NUM,    	CK_TRUE,        set_share_exp_req_num, validate_share_exp_req_num },
};

The attributes are for things like checking an object owner via UUID, checking the time that an object is legal to use, or that to export an object requires a threshold.

--Chris