Subject: RE: [pkcs11] ECDH key derivation function

Hi Valerie,

thanks for discussing this topic with your team. I fully support your suggestion for a) improving the current wording, and b) adding definitions for the NIST key derivation function.

I will unfortunately not be able to join the next conf call, we'll be visiting the opera at that same time (our birthday present for our daughter). In case you'll bring this topic up during the next conf call, take my approval for your suggestion as given, otherwise I'll be happy to discuss during the conf call in July.

Thanks,
Dieter

-----Original Message-----
From: pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Valerie Fenwick
Sent: Donnerstag, 18. Juni 2015 01:03
To: pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Dieter

Of course, given that one of these standards is a private standard that costs money to look at, does make this more challenging. But I imagine there are enough people in this group that have access to the standard that we should be able to discuss this.

I ran this by some folks in my team that work on algorithm implementations, and this was the advice that came out of there:

  First, fix the CKD_SHA[224|256|384|512]_KDF description in
2.3.8 EC mechanism parameters, that is, change

" The key derivation function CKD_NULL produces a raw shared secret value without applying any key derivation function whereas the key derivation function CKD_SHA1_KDF, which is based on SHA-1, derives keying data from the shared secret value as defined in ANSI X9.63."

" The key derivation function CKD_NULL produces a raw shared secret value without applying any key derivation function whereas the key derivation functions CKD_SHA[1|224|256|384|512]_KDF which are based on SHA-[1|224|256|384|512]derive keying data from the shared secret value as defined in ANSI X9.63." .

Second, discuss whether introducing the NIST SP800-56A version of the these functions would be useful and if so, add those, too. E.g. adding the functions CKD_SHA[1|224|256|384|512]_NIST_KDF.

Would you be able to discuss this further in our next TC meeting? If not, would someone else like to bring this issue up? It seems like something we should address in 2.41.

Valerie

--
NOTE: Using voice recognition software, forgive typos/grammar mistakes!
Valerie Fenwick, http://bubbva.blogspot.com/ @bubbva Solaris Cryptographic & Key Management Technologies, Manager Oracle Corporation: 4180 Network Circle, Santa Clara, CA, 95054.