Subject: Fwd: Re: [pkcs11-comment] PKCS11 v2.40 vs. v2.30

Another forward

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [pkcs11-comment] PKCS11 v2.40 vs. v2.30
Date: 	Tue, 12 Apr 2016 10:57:16 +0200
From: 	Jaroslav Imrich <jaroslav.imrich@gmail.com>
To: 	Gian-Carlo Bava <giancarlo@engageinc.com>
CC: 	pkcs11-comment@lists.oasis-open.org <pkcs11-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hello Gian-Carlo,

I am just a public observer of the PKCS#11 Technical Committee work so please
note that my comments are just my personal opinions.

    Is the new v2.40 pkcs11.h header file backwards compatible with v2.30?

It is important to note that PKCS#11 v2.40 specification was published without
headers [0]. There are draft headers available [1] which will hopefully be
published officially as a part of PKCS#11 v2.40 Errata 01 (something like a
bugfix update for PKCS#11 v2.40) but they still contain some serious problems
[2] that need to be resolved by TC first.

    Is there somewhere a description of the changes and additions in v2.40
    versus v2.30?

This was exactly my first question posted to this mailinglist [3] and AFAIK
there is no description of changes available. Moreover TC is maintaining
authoritative specification text in a diff unfriendly MS Word format so it is
really hard and annoying task to identify all the changes.

    Should I be asking these kinds of questions somewhere else?

AFAIK there is no other public mailing-list more suitable for your questions.

[0] https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/pkcs11-comment/201505/msg00002.html
[1]
http://docs.oasis-open.org/pkcs11/pkcs11-base/v2.40/errata01/csprd01/include/pkcs11-v2.40/
[2] https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/pkcs11-comment/201602/msg00001.html