Subject: Re: [pkcs11] Groups - RNG_Proposal_Draft1.doc uploaded

Dieter,

Thanks for the draft.  I tried to map it through what KMIP supports, and came up with a few questions, some of which may be items that still need to be hammered out between the two standards.

I didn't quite get the distinction between "Other than any specified below" and "Vendor defined RNG Algo".  Are you thinking that the first is a well-defined standard that just isn't (yet) in the list, and the second is something proprietary?  KMIP only has "Unspec" for things that aren't in the list (either RNG algorithm list or DRBG algorithm list).

I'm still scratching my head over the AIS31 items.  Don't have a mapping in mind for those yet, so guess I need to do more than skim the references for them.  I don't think KMIP really has anything for NTG-1, so that one probably is a KMIP 1.4 addition.

At some point down the road, it may be helpful to have committee notes that document the mappings between the two.  Putting the mappings in each standard would be awkward from a process view, but something better than a sketch on a piece of paper would be helpful.

Bruce Rich