Subject: Re: [pkcs11] Draft minutes for review - 09-Nov-2016

John, all OASIS interop events follow the OASIS Interop Policy so it isn't really a mater of whether or not you agree to this or not - it just happens to be how things work.

In the past we have attempted to perform Interop Demonstrations for PKCS#11 but never actually managed to meet the requirements and have operated effectively as an Interop Showcase each year and there have been vendors who have taken rather different approaches to attempting to perform interop with some vendors investing a lot of resources and other vendors not even attempting to perform interoperability between each vendor.

The discussion in the meeting and the motion (and hence the TC decision) was simply to reflect reality - nothing has actually changed in terms of what the PKCS#11 participation at RSA 2017 will be - we are just using the correct OASIS label for what we have been doing each year which makes it clearer to the participants what is expected. Nothing prevents vendors from performing point-to-point interop (as always).

In terms of what each OASIS interop event is required to focus on you can simply refer to 1.1 Goals (all of it) and the lead in paragraph to 2 Participation. The events have never been intended or meant to operate as a vendor-specific marketing event - everything operates in the context of OASIS and the specific OASIS standard that each vendor is representing. This is nothing new.

In terms of requirements being clear on the documents signed up for - this is also already covered (this year and in previous years) so suggesting this should be added when it is already present and vendors including yourself have already signed up for multiple times including this year for RSA 2017 is a little confusing.

Quoting the text from the Interop Participation form mailed out at https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/pkcs11/email/archives/201603/msg00001.html and the direct PDF link
at https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/pkcs11/email/archives/201603/msg00001/Interop-Participation-PKCS11-KMIPForm2017.pdf

Confirmed participants will be responsible to actively engage in the pre-show technical discussions and abide
by the technical requirements outlined by the Interop Team/TC (in accordance with the OASIS Interop Policy).
Participants will also be responsible for bringing any company equipment that may be used as part of their
participation.

Participants are encouraged to review the OASIS Interop Policy in advance:
www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/interop

Thanks,
Tim.