Subject: Re: [pkcs11] Concerns with SHA512/t

This was something we wanted to retract.  When we went back to the
TC forum to do so, the removal wasn't acceptable.  I don't remember
the details, but the discussion should be in the minutes.

CKM_SHA512_T_HMAC_GENERAL wasn't needed because it can be performed
with CKM_SHA512_T_HMAC and a value T that matches the desired length.

D.

On 12/15/16 00:03, Dieter Bong wrote:
Bob,

Utimaco is currently not supporting CKM_SHA512_T_HMAC_GENERAL as we haven't seen any use case.

Best regards,
Dieter

-----Original Message-----
From: pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Robert Relyea
Sent: Mittwoch, 14. Dezember 2016 22:33
To: pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org

On 11/10/2016 01:08 PM, Johnson Darren wrote:
Hi,
I agree, that section is very odd.
I raised the same questions/concerns in the SHA1/SHA2 proposal.  It was an open ended question in my document that I completely forgot to raise on the last two calls.  I apologize for that.

My questions were along the same lines as Ferenc's below and I agree completely.  If we want to support a CKM_SHA512_T_HMAC_GENERAL mechanism, then it does need two inputs.  Ideally using a specific mechanism parameter as defined below by Ferenc.

Thanks
Darren

I think it was added in anticipation of future SHA-2 like hash proposals. I think that's unlikely at this stage, and if there were, we would probably want to add and explicit mechanism for each of those proposals.

The only other use would be someone experimenting with non- standard
SHA-2 hashes or some kind of parametrized SHA-512/t type hash. Is someone on the list using something like this?

bob