Subject: RE: [pkcs11] Groups - GMAC corrections and enhancements uploaded

Hey Daniel,

It’s a good question as to why we would restrict the IV length here, that would pre-date my involvement with the standard.  Does anyone else know why that was originally chosen?

As for the ulTagBits I think it’s reasonable for us to be more flexible than NIST, and it would be up to the implementer seeking a FIPS certification to ensure they are restricting tag lengths properly.

It does sound like the CCM section has an editorial problem, 2^(8L) makes sense.  I can address that in the next revision.

When it comes to internally generated IVs I know Bob R’s specification for CK_GCM_AEAD_PARAMS will allow the user to specify internally generated IVs, maybe it makes sense to tighten up the description for CK_GCM_PARAMS and never allow a NULL/0 length IV.

Good catch on the duplicate sections, I’ll correct that in the next revision.

Thank you,

-Dave