Subject: RE: History Question - does anyone remember pkcs11-kdf-ecdh-v3.docx and its comments about CKM_ECDH1_DERIVE and CKM_ECDH1_COFACTOR_DERIVE?

Hi,

It turns out that the decision to deprecate CKM_ECDH1_DERIVE and CKM_ECDH1_COFACTOR_DERIVE was tied to the ballot for pkcs11-kdf-ecdh-v3.docx.  I just had to read the fine print.

So when pkcs11-kdf-ecdh-v3.docx was voted down, the decision to deprecate CKM_ECDH1_DERIVE and CKM_ECDH1_COFACTOR_DERIVE was also voted down.

Thanks

Darren

From: pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Johnson Darren
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:41 AM
To: pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org

While poking around for information on ECDH2, I stumbled on this old proposal.

https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/pkcs11/download.php/50278/latest/pkcs11-kdf-ecdh-v3.docx

I can see that it was voted down for various reasons… which I agree with for the most part.  But it makes the following interesting comment:

“The mechanisms specified below replace and extend CKM_ECDH1_DERIVE and CKM_ECDH1_COFACTOR_DERIVE which are now deprecated.”

It makes that statement as if the mechanisms were actually deprecated.

Were they deprecated at some point?  Or was that another mistake in the proposal?

I haven’t been able to find any information about them being deprecated.

Thanks

Darren