Subject: RE: IETF input on CFRG support in Java. And PKCS #11?

Thanks, Darren. My 2cents is alignment, where possible, seems like a great goal! Crypto is hard enough, right?  I don't work with an implementation team anymore, though, so Bob or others may have stronger opinions.

Valerie

-----Original Message-----
From: pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Johnson Darren
Sent: Friday, August 4, 2017 11:33 AM
To: pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [pkcs11] FW: IETF input on CFRG support in Java. And PKCS #11?

Hi all,
as discussed on the call...  Anders Rundgren sent this email to Tim and myself.  He pulled our names from the PKCS page.

It looks like the CFRG/IETF group has defined a new key type to represent the newer Montgomery and Edwards curves; specifically Curve25519, Curve448,  Ed25519 and Ed448 as those are the curvesthey are currently interested in.  As opposed to extending their existing EC structures, they have defined a OKP (octet key pair) for managing key pairs that use octet strings as public and private keys.  RFC8037 covers the new key type while RFC8032 and RFC7748 covers most of the curve primitives... but there is a whole tree of RFCs around this stuff.

Originally I had the impression that CFRG was trying influence other bodies and working groups (ie Java, .NET and PKCS) to adopt the same scheme.  But now that I read more it looks more like that is just a suggestion/hope that some people expressed, that this approach will be adopted by other bodies as they did not want to see things diverge too much.

What are our thoughts on aligning the standards?

I know that Bob's team has already implemented Curve25519 using the existing EC framework, and we (SafeNet) have implemented both Curve25519 and Ed25519 in our products using new key type based on the existing EC framework.  So we know there no hard need/requirement to adopt OKP from CFRG... but is there a good reason no to?

Thanks
Darren