Subject: RE: [pkcs11] Groups - Add descriptions for ECDSA SHA2 and SHA3 mechanisms. uploaded
Browsing through the items for PKCS#11 V3.00, I missed any follow-up on Bob’s proposal for ECDSA-SHA mechanisms, and Daniel’s comments to this proposal. Looking at meeting minutes,
· Item #16 was on the agenda for the meeting May 10: “provide proposal for the proposed documentation content for header file items noted (Bob R)”
· Item #16 was on the agenda for the meeting May 24: “decided on option 3 to write more text”
· Bob provided a proposal on May 25
· Daniel commented on May 30
· And since the meeting of June 7, it has not anymore been on the agenda, nor have there been any further comments to Bob’s proposal or Daniel’s feedback
Or did I miss anything? If not, can we please bring item #16 back onto the agenda for the next meeting, and have additional comments (if any) by then?
· Change CKM_ECDSA_SHA223 to CKM_ECDSA_SHA224 on page 2, last line
· Change CKM_ECDSA_SHA3_244 to CKM_ECDSA_SHA3_224 on page 3, line 4
· I support Daniel’s proposal to “compress” the many new sections into a single section.
Last mail from myself for today…
In my opinion, the proposal is a bit chatty. Is it necessary to describe all 9 SHA mechanisms in separate sections although the text is always the same – except for the name of the mechanism? The current standard is not consistent here: For example, PKCS #1 RSA PSS signatures (sect. 2.1.17) does it in one section, DSA (sect. 2.2.12, 2.2.14 – 2.2.17) uses several sections.
So, similar to PKCS #1 RSA PSS, the following could be added to the “ECDSA with SHA-1” section (which needs to be renamed then) after the first paragraph:
“The ECDSA with SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512, SHA3-224, SHA3-256, SHA3-384, and SHA3-512 mechanisms denoted CKM_ECDSA_SHA224, CKM_ECDSA_SHA256, CKM_ECDSA_SHA384, CKM_ECDSA_SHA512, CKM_ECDSA_SHA3_224, CKM_ECDSA_SHA3_256, CKM_ECDSA_SHA3_384, and CKM_ECDSA_SHA3_512 respectively, perform the same operations using the SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512, SHA3-224, SHA3-256, SHA3-384, and SHA3-512 hash functions.”
And all other new sections are obsolete.
On Behalf Of Robert Relyea
Utimaco IS GmbH
Germanusstr. 4, D.52080 Aachen, Germany, Tel: +49-241-1696-0, www.utimaco.com
Seat: Aachen – Registergericht Aachen HRB 18922
VAT ID No.: DE 815 496 496
Managementboard: Malte Pollmann (Chairman) CEO, Dr. Frank J. Nellissen CFO
This communication is confidential. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out at https://www.utimaco.com/en/e-mail-disclaimer/