Subject: RE: PKCS#11 review comments for base spec 3.0 WD05 and curr 3.0 WD06

All,

As written in my comments: removal of line 3429 was only added since it was already removed in line 3491 (not by myself). I.e. either we remove both or none.

In the header file I count 14 deprecations, 2 in the base spec, and 5 in the mech spec (not included the new one for namedcurve). However, not all macros deprecated in the header file are marked as deprecated in the word documents. In a final round we should add these deprecation marks to notify people and then remove all deprecations in the next revision of the standard.

Have a nice week-end

Daniel

From: Johnson Darren [mailto:darren.johnson@gemalto.com]
Sent: Donnerstag, 23. August 2018 19:57
To: Daniel Minder <Daniel.Minder@utimaco.com>; pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org

Good points Daniel.

I agree with them all.

I have one comment on the following item though.

3429: CKM_ECDSA_KEY_PAIR_GEN should be removed from that table since it was removed in line 3491.

[DarrenJohnson] I’m all for removing this.  I made a similar comment before about removing CKM_ECDSA_KEY_PAIR_GEN, CKA_ECDSA_PARAMS and CKK_ECDSA as they are deperated and replaced by their _EC_ equivalents.  But Tim brought up a good point (I think it was Tim, sorry if i’m putting words in your mouth).  If we are going to remove the deprecated values, we should probably do a full sweep and drop all of the depcreated values from the spec and headers.  Given the focus on getting 3.0 out, I didn’t follow up on the topic.  Once 3.0 was out, I was considering working on a proposal to cleanup/remove all the deprecated things.

I don’t have a strong opinion on this topic other than that we should probably do 1 of 3 things.

1) do nothing at this time and leave the deprecated values in for now for clean up post v3.0.

2) If we remove CKM_ECDSA_KEY_PAIR_GEN, then we should remove the deprecated values for all the EC relateded content.

3) Do the full sweep suggested previously and remove all depcreated values.

Thanks

Darren