Subject: Re: [pkcs11] CKM_NULL

On 03/20/2019 09:45 AM, Daniel Minder wrote:

All,

after reading the F2F minutes, I remembered CKM_NULL and started incorporating it into curr-wd08. However, I immediately realized that this is not the only thing thats missing since it edited text that is simply not existing in curr-wd08.

Bob, is this the document you were referring to? https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/pkcs11/download.php/59984/TLSpt3-NULLmech.doc

It builds on modifications done here: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/pkcs11/download.php/59983/TLSpt2-CURR.doc

In fact, in WD08 we have, for example, CKM_TLS12_MASTER_KEY_DERIVE defined, which is never explained…

Also, this little modification on the base spec needs to be considered: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/pkcs11/download.php/59982/TLSpt1-BASE.doc

Have all of these been approved and should be included in the working drafts?

Thanks,

Daniel

Doing some archaeology. CKM_NULL has not been mentioned in the minutes since 2017. The new identifier was allocated with our allocation scheme on 3/15/2017. There was never a recorded vote to approve CKM_NULL, so I think we should drop it from the header (I'll mark it as proposed rather than approved in the database).

 The proposals were discussed in the 2017 F2F:

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/pkcs11/Meetingminutes/Minutes08022017

Dina K. : TLS text improvements

Base spec

AI: End sentence on “A Cryptoki interface” in Base Spec, Tim to upload with the strike through. Motion is to approve Dina’s updates to the base specification with Tim’s strike through in the next version of the specification.Tim moves, Gerry seconds, no objections , abstentions or comments. Motion passed

Current Mechanism

Section 2.7: strike the long list of mechs. Tim to upload document.Section 2.28: do we need this long list of mechanisms? They will get out of date. Removing the list as well.bIsExport: Changes to clarify look good.2.29 should all be ‘red’ as it’s all being restored, but the text in red is where we need to edit the original text.New 2.30 (was 2.29 in 2.40Erratta 1) Lots of stuff moved around, folks should take a look. There is a “black box” warning “Note well” in the current specificationDina did rename some mechanisms, can reuse the same number. Bob R. will add it to the database so it gets added to the header file.Everyone: review over next 2-4 weeks to take it to a ballot.

CKM_NULL

Useful to have a pass through mech that doesn’t do anything, but exercise innards of API.Bob R./Dina: Would be better in miscellaneous mechanism document.Tim: why does it take a parameter? Bob R. Just the meaningful parameter that is expected.Even though it was created due to TLS, would be best in miscellaneous section. Tim H. Would like to see parameters removed.AI for Dina: add what CKM_NULL for each of the functions.

April 2017 Dana dropped off of both projects...

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/pkcs11/Meetingminutes/Minutes12042017

TLS text improvements (Dina K)

  • No substantive changes since the last upload, someone else could pick up what was uploaded from the face-to-face. Any volunteers?

CKM_NULL (Dina K)

dina can no longer work on this. Any volunteers?

In May both were moved to 3.1, which was subsequently dropped from our agenda.

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/pkcs11/Meetingminutes/Minutes24052017

V 3.1 (3.10? 3.01?)

  • Tony, most OASIS standards don't have a 2 digit revisions. Valerie noted we've had a history in PKCS11 of using two digits. Bob is leaning toward 3.10. Tim noted that OASIS doesn't care what we call it. We just have to be consistent with our minor version number. Valerie's concerned that some programmers in future won't get that 3.10 is bigger than 3.9, especially considering use of text in C_GetFunctionLists()

  • Tony will add for future discussion.
  • Bob notes we may adjust version number depending on how much stuff we put in it.

Testing Profiles (Mark J & Anthony B.)

  • No comments

Associating Attributes to Wrapped Keys (Graham S)

  • No graham, deferred.

DSA text improvements (XX, Bob R & Tony C)

* still need new owners.

TLS text improvements (Owner required)

CKM_NULL (Owner required)

=== Blockchain (David)===

No update today.

Utimaco IS GmbH
Germanusstr. 4, D.52080 Aachen, Germany, Tel: +49-241-1696-0, www.utimaco.com
Seat: Aachen – Registergericht Aachen HRB 18922
VAT ID No.: DE 815 496 496
Managementboard: Stefan Auerbach (Chairman) CEO, Malte Pollmann CSO, Dr. Frank J. Nellissen CFO

This communication is confidential. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out at https://www.utimaco.com/en/e-mail-disclaimer/