Subject: Re: [pkcs11] Still having licensing issues.

On 7/24/20 12:14 AM, Daniel Minder wrote:
Bob,

your pkcs11.h file still contains the old RSA Security Inc. - see https://phabricator.services.mozilla.com/D63241#C2299724OL5. However, in the official PKCS11 repository there is the OASIS license included - see https://github.com/oasis-tcs/pkcs11/blob/master/published/2-40-errata-1/pkcs11.h#L1
So, isn't this already solved and you just have to use the correct header?

No, The old one also contains the mozilla MPL and has for decades. I tried to add it with mozilla but got pushback because of the license. Maybe If I can get tim and mhoye together, maybe we can either 1) get mozilla to sign off on the OASIS headers as is, or 2) find out what Mozilla needs in or git repository that makes them happy. My impressing is that the latter is something under the TC's control, or that there is a misunderstanding on the mozilla side that is causing problems. Unfortunately the legal bug is not public (understandable), so our only access to the worry is through mhoye.

bob

Best,
Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org <pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Robert Relyea
Sent: Donnerstag, 23. Juli 2020 19:53
To: pkcs11@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [pkcs11] Still having licensing issues.

When I put pkcs #11 3.0 into NSS, I had to start with the NSS headers and modify them because of mozilla license concerns. The issue wasn't with the OASIS license, per se, but with the 'secondary' license in the TC's source repository. The discussion was in https://phabricator.services.mozilla.com/D63241.

It sounds like mozilla needs clarification from RSA, is there anything we can do as a TC to 'grease the skids'? If we can get mozilla to accept our header files, I think that will open the door to other open source projects to accept our header files and go a long way toward allowing us to standardize on a single set of headers industry wide. (and make my life easier as an NSS maintainer).

bob