pki-askvendors message

Subject: [Fwd: [pki-tc] Report from Ask Vendors SC]

I expect you saw this status report just now.
I apologize for dropping the ball this summer.
I have been crazy busy.

Anyway, I'm trying to pick up the ball again.
Here (attached to this email) is a copy of
the most recent draft survey and vendor list.
If you want to suggest any changes, please
do so. Otherwise, I'll send them out right
after the U.S. holiday of Labor Day (September 6).

I hate to wait any longer, especially because
I want to be able to seek funding for some
actions based on the survey results and
the 2005 PKI MS budget will be coming together
in September. But based on my experience with
the PKI TC's August 2003 survey, sending out
a survey in August really cuts down on responses.

Thanks for your patience,

Steve

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [pki-tc] Report from Ask Vendors SC
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:13:30 -0400
From: Steve Hanna <shanna@funk.com>
To: PKI TC <pki-tc@lists.oasis-open.org>

At the last PKI TC meeting, it was requested
that the chair of each subcommittee submit a
status report on the Monday before the PKI TC
meeting. Here's the status report for the
Ask Vendors Subcommittee.

The Ask Vendors Subcommittee has made almost
no progress in the last month. The chair (me)
has been busy changing jobs. Also, we concluded
that it would not be productive to conduct
our survey during the summer due to vacations.

Our status is as follows. We have a list of vendors
of certain key applications (email and document
creation and signing) with contact addresses.
We also have a draft survey asking those vendors
how much PKI support they have now and what
would encourage them to include more. We plan
to send out the survey by email and receive
will get under way in early September.

Thanks,

Steve

the OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/pki-tc/members/leave_workgroup.php.

		  OASIS PKI TC Ask Vendors SC Survey
			 DRAFT - June 1, 2004

Subject: PKI Support in Your Products

We, the OASIS PKI Technical Committee, are working
to improve Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) and to
remove obstacles to PKI deployment and usage. Since
your company has a product relevant to PKI, we'd like
to ask for a small amount of assistance.

Please forward this email to the Product Manager
for your ??? product or someone else who has
insight into the process by which the feature
set for this product is chosen.

Thanks,

Steve Hanna
Co-chair, OASIS PKI Technical Committee

-------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

In our recent survey of Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
users and experts, the OASIS PKI Technical Committee
found that the primary obstacle to PKI deployment and
usage was "Software Applications Don't Support It".
Textual comments indicated that many applications have
no PKI support and that, when present, application PKI
support differs widely and is often incompatible. This
makes it very hard for users to deploy PKI. They must
spend large amounts of money on PKI enablement (PKE),
adding PKI support to applications and customizing
applications to work in their PKI installation.

The OASIS PKI TC has developed a PKI Action Plan in
response to the survey results. One of the Action
Items in this plan calls for us to "Ask Application
Vendors What They Need" to provide better PKI support.
Then we will work to provide whatever's lacking.

So we'd like to ask you to complete the following
short survey exploring what could be done to help
you provide better support for PKI (Public Key
Infrastructure).

Why is this worth your valuable time? The market for
PKI enabled applications is potentially quite large.
The U.S. Department of Defense is now deploying
PKI enabled smart cards to 4 million workers.
Deployment at the FBI is under way and discussions
have begun on extending the system throughout the
U.S. government. In Europe, Asia, and around the world,
PKI initiatives are under way and in some cases large
and well established. Corporate adoption of PKI enabled
smart cards is picking up with large companies
like Johnson and Johnson and Sun Microsystems
leading the way.

Enough preliminaries. Here's the survey. Please
complete it and return it to me for tabulation.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate
to ask me. And note that we will keep all your
will be released.

Thanks,

Steve Hanna
Co-chair, OASIS PKI Technical Committee

P.S. If you would like to review our PKI Action Plan,
please do so. It is available from
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/pki/pkiactionplan.pdf
That document includes URLs for the results from
our previous surveys.

-------------

Vendor Survey on PKI Support
OASIS PKI Technical Committee

1) Does your company currently sell products with PKI
   support? If so, which products include PKI support
   and what sort of PKI support do they include (digital
   signatures, certificate-based authentication, encryption,
   or other)?

2) Are you happy with your PKI support or lack thereof?
   If not, what changes would you like to make? Is there
   something in particular holding you back from making
   these changes? If so, what?

3) Which of the items listed below would be most
   important to your company in deciding whether
   to add or improve PKI support in your products?

Please divide 100 points among these categories
in any way you like to indicate which would be
most important in making your decision.

__ Solid customer demand (projected revenue increase)
__ Better PKI-related standards
__ Interoperability tests
__ PKI support in platforms (Windows, Java, etc.)
__ Cross-platform PKI libraries
__ Training
__ Other (please describe)

4) If the items you marked in the last question
   were provided, do you expect that your company
   would decide to add or improve PKI support in
   your products?

__ Yes
__ No
__ Maybe

5) Do you have any other comments to add, especially
   about adding PKI support to your company's products?

6) What is your job title?

	       OASIS PKI TC Ask Vendors SC Vendor List
			 DRAFT - June 1, 2004

*Document Signing*

AbiWord
  Products: AbiWord (open source)
  Contacts: Marc Maurer <j.m.maurer@student.utwente.nl>
Adobe
  Products: Acrobat Self-Sign
  Contacts: John Landwehr
Aliroo
  Products: PrivaSeal
  Contacts: Yaron Lavi <yaron@aliroo.com>
AlphaTrust
  Products: PRONTO
  Contacts: info@alphatrust.com
Apple
  Products: AppleWorks
  Contacts: Cathleen Merritt <director@awug.org>
Archisoft
  Products: i.Secure Office
  Contacts: info@archisoft.com.hk
Arcot
  Products: ApproveIt
  Contacts: info@arcot.com
ArticSoft
  Products: FileAssurity
  Contacts: info@articsoft.com
BeTrusted
  Products: TrustedForms
  Contacts: Russel Weiser <rweiser@betrusted.com>
Communication Intelligence Corporation
  Products: iSign
  Contacts: sales@cic.com
Corel
  Products: WordPerfect Office
  Contacts: Wendy Lowe, Product Manager, Corel Inc.
8144 Walnut Hill Ln.
Suite 1050
Dallas, TX
Entrust
  Products: Secure E-Forms Solution
  Contacts: Sharon Boeyen <sharon.boeyen@entrust.com>
eQuorum
  Products: ImageSite Digital Signature
  Contacts:
Frontier Technologies (E-Lock)
  Products: ProSigner
  Contacts: <candice@elock.com>
GeoTrust
  Products: My Signing Credential
  Contacts: Kefeng Chen <kefengc@geotrust.com>
Identrus
  Products: SimpleSign
  Contacts: info@identrus.com
IBM
  Products: SmartSuite
  Contacts: +1.617.577.8500
ipsCA
  Products: ipsCA U-Sign PDF
  Contacts: general@ipsca.com
Microsoft
  Products: Microsoft Office
  Contacts: stefans@microsoft.com
nCipher
  Products: Document Sealing Engine 200
  Contacts: sales@ncipher.com
Nisus Software
  Products: Nisus Writer
  Contacts: sales@nisus.com
NJStar
  Products: NJStar
  Contacts: njsales@njstar.com
NSE.IT
  Products: Endorsor
  Contacts: marketing@nseit.biz
OKIOK
  Products: Hot Sign
  Contacts: info@okiok.com
OpenOffice.org
  Products: OpenOffice (open source)
  Contacts: Manish.Punjabi@sun.com
RSA Security
  Products: Keon e-Sign
  Contacts: dskyberg@rsasecurity.com
Silanis
  Products: ApproveIt
  Contacts: 1-888-SILANIS
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
  Products: StarOffice
  Contacts: Manish.Punjabi@sun.com
Valyd
  Products: eSign
  Contacts: sales@valyd.com
Verisign
  Products: VeriSign Document Signer for Adobe Acrobat
  Contacts: alex@verisign.com
VisualSafe
  Products: VisualSoft OfficeSecure
  Contacts: bizdev@visualsafe.com
Wave Systems Corporation
  Products: SmartSignature
  Contacts: info@wavesys.com

*Secure Email*

AOL
  Products: AOL, Netscape Messenger
  Notes: S/MIME support in Messenger. No PKI email support in AOL, I think.
  Contacts: wchang0222@aol.com
Apple
  Products: Apple Mail
  Notes: S/MIME and PGP support included.
  Contacts: ???
Cyrusoft
  Products: Mulberry
  Notes: S/MIME and PGP support included.
  Contacts: info@cyrusoft.com
Elm
  Products: Elm
  Notes: No PKI support.
  Contacts: wfp5p@cthulhu.itc.virginia.edu, hurtta+elm@posti.fmi.fi
EmuMail
  Products: Emu Webmail
  Notes: PKI used only to secure connection to server, I think.
  Contacts: +1.860.429.5741
David Harris
  Products: Pegasus Email
  Notes: Several PGP plug-ins. No S/MIME support, I think.
  Contacts: David.Harris@pmail.gen.nz
Hush
  Products: HushMail
  Notes: Seems to support PGP but not S/MIME.
  Contacts: contact form at hush.com
IBM
  Products: Lotus Notes, Lotus Workplace Messaging
  Notes: Supports S/MIME but not PGP.
  Contacts: +1.617.577.8500
Microsoft
  Products: Exchange, Outlook, Outlook Express
  Notes: Supports S/MIME. PGP plug-ins available from others.
  Contacts: stefans@microsoft.com
Mozilla
  Products: Mozilla, Thunderbird
  Notes: Supports S/MIME. PGP coming.
  Contacts: wchang0222@aol.com, hecker@hecker.org
mutt.org
  Products: Mutt
  Notes: Supports PGP and S/MIME through hooks.
  Contacts: ??
Novell
  Products: Ximian Evolution, GroupWise
  Notes: Evolution supports PGP. S/MIME coming in 2.0 (ETA 6/04).
         GroupWise supports S/MIME.
  Contacts: sales@ximian.com, carlos@ximian.com, +1.781.464.8000
OutSpring Software
  Products: QuickMail
  Notes: No PKI support, I think.
  Contacts: +1.707-523-7711
PGP Corporation
  Products: PGP Universal, PGP Desktop
  Notes: PGP only, of course.
  Contacts: +1 650 319 9000
Poco Systems
  Products: PocoMail
  Notes: No PKI support, I think.
  Contacts: Feedback form at www.pocosystems.com
Qualcomm
  Products: Eudora
  Notes: PKI only for SSL to server. PGP plug-in from others.
  Contacts: randy@qualcomm.com, eudora-callcenter@qualcomm.com
RITLabs
  Products: The Bat!
  Notes: PGP, S/MIME, and SSL/TLS!
  Contacts: office@ritlabs.com
Sigaba
  Products: Sigaba Secure Email
  Notes: S/MIME and proprietary technique.
  Contacts: sales@sigaba.com
University of California
  Products: MH
  Notes: No longer under development. PGP support from others.
  Contacts: http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mh/
University of Washington
  Products: Pine
  Notes: Simple S/MIME support available.