pki-education message

Subject: Re: [pki-education] FW: Consultant Cost

June,

Thanks for gathering this information. I think
there are three separate jobs here:

1) Write missing documents
2) Update web site to point at documents (new and old)
3) Maintain web site

Item 1) requires a substantial amount of work and
expertise with PKI. The amount of work required and
specific skills needed depends on what documents
we decide need to be written. As a rough estimate,
I would guess it might take 5-7 person-days for an
experienced individual to write a first draft of
an in-depth analysis document and another 5-7 days
to revise it in response to comments.

Item 2) should be pretty easy since we'll be supplying
a list of documents with URLs. I doubt it will take
more than one person-day.

Item 3) will probably require one day per month, maybe
even less.

I suspect we could get volunteers to do 2) and 3).
If we're hiring a consultant anyway, I'd be glad to
tack them on the list, though.

So let me give my answers to your questions:

 > 1) Do we need contractors?

Only if we need to write a new document.

 > 2) How many hours a week would we need this person?

Depends on how many documents must be written.

 > 3) Will this be an ongoing contractor or only for a few months?

Only a few months unless there are other ongoing
tasks which can be bundled in.

 > 4) If it's only for a few months, what do we do for maintenance of
the site?

Volunteers. Would be better to have a contractor,
but probably not worthwhile for them at one day
a month or less.

 > 5) Would the same contractor be writing documentation as well as
revamping the site?

Sure.

Thanks,

Steve