pki-guidelines message

Subject: Re: [pki-guidelines] Re: Narrowing down electronic commerce

If we want to confirm what the survey respondents
meant by electronic commerce (since we didn't get
much response to our efforts to contact people
directly), why not just ask? I don't really want
to base a whole survey on this one fellow's opinions
just as I wouldn't want to base a whole survey on
one of the PKI TC members' opinions.

I suggest that we create a more general web survey
asking people to describe the needs and expectations
with respect to using PKI in Electronic Commerce.
Can we break down Electronic Commerce into certain
subcategories, as we did with Document Signing last
August? Here's a first cut:

* Interactive web-based purchasing (user involved,
   usually over HTTPS)

* Other interactive web-based operations (user involved,
   usually over HTTPS)

* Secure automated exchange of RFPs, POs, and other
   business documents between previously established
   business partners (maybe using a standard protocol
   such as EDI or ebXML)

* Dynamic bidding and establishment of business
   relationships

Obviously, electronic commerce is not my thing.
I hope you can see what I'm thinking though.

Thanks,

Steve

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature