pki-lowercosts message

Subject: Re: [pki-lowercosts] FW: Marinade projects COMETS.htm

I have reviewed this model. As Ann said, it's
quite detailed. However, it seems to be focussed
on a public CA business model where you set
up a CA, LRA, Directory Service, etc. and then
charge end users per certificate.

Does the same cost model apply in a corporate
environment? I expect there are differences.
For instance, I don't see any costs for application
integration. That's a big cost. Smart cards
are also not included but a sales staff is.

Help desk costs are also usually a big concern,
although Rich Guida says this is mainly a
startup cost since calls drop off after the
initial startup period.

I'm also concerned about whether the numbers
are still accurate. Computer hardware and
software costs have declined a lot in the
last five years.

The bottom line for me is that I am impressed
by the work that went into this but I have many
concerns about how well it applies to corporate
environments and how dated it may be. Maybe it
could be useful for analyzing public CA costs
and maybe it could be adapted for a corporate
environment (or, due to possible intellectual
property concerns, simply used as inspiration).

I'd like to proceed with our cost model survey
(at least asking the Lower Costs SC members)
unless we find something better than this.

Thanks,

Steve