pki-lowercosts message

Subject: RE: [pki-lowercosts] Action items

The purpose of this SC is to explore ways to lower costs.  With that,
here's the text of the action item from our implantation plan:
---
Encourage the software development community (including the open source
community) to provide options for organizations to conduct small pilots
and tests of PKI functionality at reasonable costs-in effect reducing
cost as a barrier to the use of PKI. Of course, operating a production
PKI involves many costs other than software acquisition so an effort
will be undertaken to gather and disseminate best practices for cost
reduction in PKI deployments around the world.
---

This survey is merely a tool to begin this action.  The real work of the
sc starts when we have those results.  Once completed, the analysis of
the survey should begin to uncover ways in which PKI cost might be
positively impacted.  The next function of the sc is to draft proposals
to do so and communicate those proposals back to the original
respondants of the survey that led to the PKI Action Plan, and
coordinate responses back from the respondants.  This should all lead,
eventually, to our recommending cost reduction measures to the industry.

Given that, is our proposal for a contractor short sighted?  Should we
consider extending the items to cover some of the above things?

=david

PKI