pki-ms message

Subject: Re: Recruitment

Thank you for bringing this up, Ann.

I still need to discuss protocol with John Sabo and OASIS, but one of
the most important things I wanted to do after becoming elected Chair
of the TC, was to do some soul-searching in the first meeting to figure
out the TC's direction and relevance.

There are lots of questions on my mind now that I've been a member of
the TC for a little over a year, the the 2 most important ones are:

1) As a technical committee, what technology standards do we establish
    given that PKIX establishes international technical standards for
    PKI, and W3C has established XMLSignature, XMLEncryption and XKMS
    as standards?  If we cannot answer this question, then we need to
    figure out what is our charter.

2) The TC conducted a survey 2-3 years ago that highlighted why people
    were not using PKI.  Yet, many countries around the world, the US
    Federal Government, the cable/satellite industry, the DRM world all
    use PKI in one form or another.  What is the real reason that the
    general business applications/IT developers shun PKI?  (Being an
    applications developer myself, I have some notions on this that I'd
    like to discuss in the TC, but I want to hear from everybody else
    first).

After I've had a chance to talk to John, I intend to send an e-mail
to the TC to think about these questions and to join us in the
dicussion in this month's session.  I know one hour is not going to
be sufficient for this topic, but I want to get the discussion going
over e-mail first and summarize in the call, if possible.

I think the observers are not participating because of the relevance
issue (someone I know in the PKI industry confirmed that yesterday
in a lunch conversation); so if we address that, participation will
follow.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.