pki-survey message

Subject: Re: [pki-survey] [Fwd: Re: PKI Survey Subcommittee]

Peter,

Using an on-line survey is a great idea. That would eliminate
the cost and workload of doing a phone survey. I guess it
might be a little more likely that people would stuff the
ballot box, but we can control this by not publicizing the
survey *too* broadly (for instance, I hope it doesn't show
up in a slashdot article!). An additional benefit of using
an online survey is that it will be easier for busy people
(like CIOs) to respond at their convenience.

As for RSA, I'm afraid I won't be able to attend. Here in
Sun Labs, we have a tiny travel budget. I'd love to meet
the Baltimore folks, but I'll have to take a rain check.

I guess the next step is to write up the survey objectives
and sample, implementation plan, and rough schedule. Maybe
we should start with the survey objectives and sample. It
would be great if we could have the PKI TC discuss a draft
on the Wednesday concall. That may not be realistic, though.
Well, let me throw out a first draft to get things started.
Here goes:

The objective of the PKI TC's PKI Deployment Obstacles Survey
is to identify the most commonly cited obstacles to PKI
deployment and usage. We want to be able to identify which
obstacles are most commonly cited and correlate these obstacles
with information about the respondents, such as their occupation,
the industry in which they are employed, their years of experience
in the computer industry, in information security, or with PKI, etc.

Maybe we should also look at what benefits the respondents hoped
to receive from PKI and what benefits they actually saw.

I'm primarily interested in responses from people who have
significant experience with PKI deployment, although I'm also
interested in responses from other people as long as we can
separate these categories for analysis.

To be specific, I'd like to see responses from IT managers
and staff who have completed successful PKI deployments,
people who have attempted deployments but failed, and people
who have considered deployments but decided against them.
I'd also be glad to hear from employees of PKI vendors and
lawyers or IT consultants who have worked on or observed
PKI deployments. And I'd also be glad to hear from researchers
or analysts with PKI experience or insights.

Let me know what you think about this draft. If we can polish
it up quickly, maybe we can get it to the TC on Tuesday and
discuss it on Wednesday's call. If that doesn't work (times
are *very* tight), we can get something to the TC later and
get a sense of the TC by email.

Thanks,

Steve