pki-survey message

Subject: Re: [pki-survey] Final draft follow-up survey

Paul,

I'm sorry to hear about your illness. But I'm glad
to hear you have recovered now.

I would be glad to ask a question about exactly
what dollar costs are acceptable. That would help us
understand what level of cost reductions are needed.

But it seems to me that the acceptable cost (per
certificate per year) depends on the application
and on the customer. Some applications (like SSL
for web-based merchants) provide a high return for
each certificate. Others (like authenticating
employees for HR applications) do not. I'm not
sure how we could phrase this question so that
we wouldn't be comparing apples to oranges.

If you have specific ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

Evans Paul wrote:

> Steve,
>
> This is excellent!  My only thoughts involve the cost issue, but I'm not
> sure I can do any better than what you've done thus far.
>
> The resistance to cost I've encountered boil down to the cost of
> ownership on a per-person basis.  It the old R.O.I. formula.  I
> understand that we shouldn't be doing market research on behalf of the
> vendors, but learning what is an acceptable cost per person might be
> highly useful. It would also give us some insight into the perceived
> value of PKI.
>
> I'm not strongly tied to including this, though.  It always part of the
> tension of creating a survey that's not too long or detailed but
> contains enough detail to be meaningful and useful.
>
> My apologies for not responding earlier - I contracted a case of
> salmonella poisoning two weeks ago that took a week to shake and put me
> way behind in my work.
>
> Paul
>
> Steve Hanna wrote:
>
> >It's important for respondents to quickly understand
> >what each item means. I guess it might help to add
> >a few example protocols. How about "(such as S/MIME
> >or SSL)", since those are probably the two most
> >commonly used protocols that use PKI?
> >
> >This doesn't seem too leading to me. I don't think
> >the respondent will be more or less likely to choose
> >that item if we include this explanation.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Steve
> >
> >Sharon Boeyen wrote:
> >

> >>Steve, I agree with all of your suggestions. On the "protocols that
> >>use PKI" would it be a good idea to add an "e.g. S/MIME" or do you
> >>think that would be too leading?

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature