Subject: Trauma Response E-News

Title: January, 2005 E-News

January, 2005

Welcome to The American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress’ Trauma Response® E-News.  The Academy recognized a need to share practical and timely information with survivors of traumatic events and those who care for them.  It is in this spirit that the Academy is providing this e-newsletter as a public service.

In the Aftermath of the Tsunami:
Addressing Emergent Psychological Needs

In the aftermath of the tsunami, the world is rushing to address the devastating loss of life and destruction. Beyond the physical and safety needs of survivors, we must recognize and address the hidden trauma-traumatic stress. Visit www.crisisinfo.org for detailed information.

Trauma Response® E-News Quote

"This disaster has not been selective in the destruction it has wreaked. Tidal waves have treated all people alike. Nature does not differentiate in the treatment of peoples…. Let us all rise up and stand united, let us transform adversity to an opportunity for progress."

-Chandrika Kumaratunga, President of Sri Lanka.

Academy Releases New Publication

Comprehensive Acute Traumatic Stress Management (CATSM) aims to address the emergent psychological needs of individuals, groups and organizations before, during and after a traumatic event. CATSM is a Traumatic Stress Response Protocol for all people who endeavor to help others during times of crisis. By reaching people early, we can keep individuals and organizations functioning, and mitigate long-term emotional suffering. Visit www.crisisinfo.org/atsm for information.

Veterans and PTSD

According to the Veterans' Administration and mental health professionals, one in six military veterans is affected by Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.

Trauma Response® E-News Quote

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."

-Christopher Reeve

Intraoperative Awareness

An estimated 20,000 to 40,000 people each year drift in and out of consciousness during surgery in a devastating experience called anesthesia awareness (also called) during which they are unable to communicate to doctors that they are awake. About 50 percent of these patients develop severe psychological problems including PTSD. As a result, many patients avoid doctors and vow never to undergo surgery again.

Hypnosis, Children and Medical Procedures

The results of a recent study found that hypnosis can reduce stress in children who undergo invasive medical procedures. Parents of children in the hypnosis group reported that the procedure was less traumatic for their child than parents in the routine care group.

Link Found Between Traumatic Stress and TMJ

In a study of 1,221 patients with TMJD (TMJ disorders), researchers found that 49.7 percent of the respondents reported one or more traumatic stressors. "The prevalence of major traumatic life events in orofacial pain patients is high, and the experience of such stressors may be an important contributing factor in the etiology of chronic facial pain," stated Dr. Reny deLeeuw, DDS, Ph.D., principal author of the study. The results of the study could help redirect treatment of TMJD to include a stronger emphasis on psychotherapy.

Bam Earthquake: One Year Later

One year after the earthquake in Bam, Iran, which killed 26,000 people and destroyed about 85 percent of the city, thousands of residents are still suffering psychological trauma. Mohammad Mukhier, head of the delegation for the International Federation for the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies in Iran says, "Twelve months later, signs of the devastation are still evident, not just in the collapsed buildings, but in the peoples' minds."

Academy's New Internet Site on the Net

The American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress has launched a new site on the Internet. Our new home at http://www.crisisinfo.org/AAETS addresses the spirit of the times and offers additional practical information for survivors of traumatic events and those who care for them.

Family Emergency Plan

"The start of a new year is a time when many Americans are inclined to think about ways to make improvements for the future. Creating a family emergency plan is a great place to start. Families can create a plan that will allow them to know how best to communicate with one another in the event of an emergency."

-Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge.

PTSD in Israel

Two large national surveys conducted by the University of Haifa's National Security Studies Center (NSSC) found that at least half of Israel's population feels higher than normal levels of anxiety most of the time. Professor Stevan Hobfoll, principle investigator in the surveys, stated, "In the U.S. and Western Europe, we are looking at PTSD levels of around 1 to 1 1/2 percent. In Israel, which has experienced an entourage of terrorism for over four years and where there are ongoing attacks and attempted attacks, the level is between 7 to 9 percent. This equates to between 350,000 to 450,000 people."

Counseling and Genetic Testing

A three year study conducted by Cardiff University in South Wales regarding the impact of genetic testing to identify whether people are at risk for certain diseases or conditions found that appropriate counseling and support services are essential to avoid undue stress and anxiety. Professor Paul Atkinson said, "In the future, when genetic testing is available for a very wide range of conditions, it is possible that we could create an unmanageable degree of anxiety in an individual if the proper follow-up services are not available."

The Impact of Adversity on Adults

The December issue of Psychology and Aging reported the results of a study of traumatic events and seniors' health. Researchers found that traumatic events (e.g., the loss of a spouse or child, being in a serious accident, experiencing physical or sexual abuse) experienced in early and middle adulthood (i.e., 18 to 30 and 31 to 64) had a greater impact on health in old age than childhood traumas. "It appears that adversity encountered in adult life plays a more important role in shaping adult health than adversity encountered in childhood," stated researchers.

Florida and North Carolina Better Prepared for Bioterrorism

A recent study by the Trust for America's Health of states' emergency responsiveness ranked Florida and North Carolina as better prepared to handle a bioterrorism attack. Alaska and Massachusetts received the lowest ratings. It was noted that overall states are struggling to develop plans to deal with public health emergencies.

Alcohol, Sexual Assault and Date Rape

According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, drinking on college campuses contributes to an estimated 70,000 incidents of sexual assault and date rape each year.

Trauma Response® E-News Quote

"We must help people to seize the energy from a traumatic experience, and use it to propel them to set realistic goals, make decisions and take action."

-Dr. Mark Lerner

Do You Know Someone Who is Living Through a Traumatic Experience?
A New Audio Book Presentation On One Compact Disc

Traumatic events are a part of life. In the same way that we rush to address our physical needs, we must also address our emotional needs. Surviving and Thriving, Living Through a Traumatic Experience was developed to ease the pain, keep people functioning and lessen the likelihood of long-term emotional suffering.  Most importantly, it will help people to see the opportunities that a crisis can bring.  http://www.crisisinfo.org/DrMarkLerner

Trauma Response® E-News Quote

"When I look at the world I'm pessimistic, but when I look at people I am optimistic."

-Carl Rogers

School Crisis Response: The Need for Structure and Process

Our schools must embrace a structure and process for responding effectively to school-based tragedies. Our nation's schools are taking steps to provide this structure through the development of school Crisis Response Teams. Unfortunately, little attention is being given to addressing the process of helping members of the school family to deal with the emotional fall-out that they experience during times of crisis. For example, once students are directed to a lounge or quiet area in a school for intervention, who is truly prepared to address the raw emotion of a group of children who just learned of the deaths of their friends in an automobile accident?

School crisis response can no longer be delegated solely to members of a school Crisis Response Team. Today, crisis management is the responsibility of all educators. A Practical Guide for Crisis Response in Our Schools provides a structure and process for effectively managing the wide spectrum of school-based crises. It is an invaluable resource in preparation for, and during, actual crisis situations and continues to serve as a meaningful standard for our nation's schools. For further information, visit
http://crisisinfo.org/schoolcrisisresponse.

Membership with the Academy
The American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress is a multidisciplinary network of professionals committed to the advancement of intervention for survivors of trauma.  The Academy’s international membership includes individuals from over 200 professions in the health-related fields, emergency services, criminal justice, forensics, law, business and education.  With Members in every state of the United States and over 55 foreign countries, the Academy is now the largest organization of its kind in the world.  For information about Membership, the International Registry, the Academy’s Board Certification Programs in Traumatic Stress Specialties, Certification in Acute Traumatic Stress Management (ATSM), the Diplomate Credential, Fellowship and other benefits of Membership visit the Academy online at http://www.crisisinfo.org/AAETS.

Trauma Response® E-News Update
Trauma Response® E-News, the Academy’s online newsletter, is now sent to over 3.25 million people every month!  If you wish to contribute practical information for survivors of traumatic events and those who care for them, please e-mail news, limited to five sentences, to the Academy.  News and questions should be e-mailed to the Academy’s administrative offices at enews@crisisinfo.org.  Please enter “E-news” in the subject field.

Trauma Response® E-News is published by
The American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress®
Trauma Response® E-News is Edited by Mark D. Lerner, Ph.D.

The Academy wishes to thank Eileen Rodowicz
for her efforts in the development of E-News.

© 2004 The American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress, Inc.
368 Veterans Memorial Highway
Commack, NY 11725

http://www.crisisinfo.org/AAETS

If you wish to be removed from our enews list, please do not e-mail the Academy, but instead click on the link below. You will be removed from our database and will no longer receive Trauma Response E-News.

American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress · 368 Veterans Memorial Highway · Commack, NY 11725