Subject: [pki-tc] Fw: X.500, LDAP Considered harmful

Could be of some interest maybe.
/anders

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anders Rundgren" <anders.rundgren@telia.com>
To: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com>; "Peter Gutmann" <pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz>
Cc: <ietf-pkix@imc.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2003 16:03
Subject: Re: X.500, LDAP Considered harmful Was: OCSP/LDAP

>"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com> writes:

>>First let us dispense with the system designed for use by humans. We have a
>>system, it is called the Web, everyone else lost, get over it.

>>In conclusion it is time for the PKI world to seriously consider
>>whether X.500 and LDAP provide the right certificate repository
>>structure for PKI. For myself I consider them harmful.

>"Peter Gutmann" <pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz> writes:
>Yup.  That's what the motivation was for my certs-over-HTTP RFC.

And the very same ideas spurred me to write the Plug-and-Play PKI for
Web Services proposal, augmenting PKI with the naming system used
on the Web (i.e. URLs), instead of waiting another 15 years or so for
ISO to get the global X.500 registry up and running.

By also loosen-up the ties between PKI and the hierarchical X.500
data model, you get a direct link to the relational database systems,
which are powering just about every serious Web-app there is.

<snip>

Guys,
In spite of pretty different backgrounds, targets, and means, I feel that we
share a common view that the PKI world must take some additional steps
towards the Web world in order to ever become an integral part of the it.

                                       Let's Go!

Anders Rundgren

PS Pardon the "plug" DS