Subject: Re: [pki-tc] US e-government ID-challenge

Anders:

I am not sure I understand the argument.

I worked in Luxembourg for a year attempting to launch a PKI-based
credit card [see the Providian GetSnart VISA concept].

It didn't take off because web-access control systems aren't supporting
user-end use of smart cards.  Microsoft interfaced to smart card readers
with Windows 2000 and how many clients have implemented smart-
card based authentication in W2K; I bet only a handful.

My humble thoughts.

David Sweigert, CISSP
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 4:04 AM
Subject: [pki-tc] US e-government ID-challenge

Hi,
This is a very silent list but I give it a try anyway.

Coming from a country (Sweden) that established a working national identity-scheme some 40 years ago, which was with ease "recasted" into PKI, I wonder how countries like the US, lacking such systems are going to get e-governments running.

As far as I know, social security numbers as used in the US are not sufficient as there are duplicates and many countries do not have identity systems at all, that are aligned to on-line usage.

Anders Rundgren
Consultant PKI and secure e-business