Subject: Re: [pki-tc] US e-government ID-challenge

Anders:

Military steps

Some smart-card ID systems have been deployed and have become defacto
machine-readable ID systems.  In the States much of technology is driven by the
military.  This US military has rolled out a chip-based ID card.  This idea is also
gaining traction with health-care delivery systems; many times operated by a State
government.

State government steps

Some movement is taken place to bolster credentials for Driving Licenses.  After
9-11 there seems more willingness to review and modify State licensing programs.
Example; the State of Ohio dropped the habit of issuing a driver's license for four
years to non-resident aliens.  Now, your State of Ohio license expires when your
VISA credentials expire.  If your Immigration and Naturalization Service [INS] non-
resident alien card expires on October 5, 2003; so will your Driver's license.

I seem more movement in identity consolidation or identity aggregation at the present.
No one is ready to tackle a large strategic program like a major roll-out of a new
identity system.

Dave Sweigert

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 10:02 AM

David,
I think you answered another question, how to carry your citizen-ID.

Due to [censored lines concerning banks, card manufacturers and software makers] practically everybody have shelved their smart card-based PKI ID-programs.  But PKI is still alive and well although only in the form of "soft" certificates.  In Scandinavia millions of on-line bank-customers use such.

But the question was really how e-governments are supposed to work in the absence of naming-systems aligned to on-line activity.  The Swedish system is based on a unique static citizen code which is used as a universal "key" in authorities' information systems.  To introduce such schemes in countries like the US, seems impossible as peoples' trust in governments seem relatively limited.

A counter-measure could be that independent ID-providers like banks, supported naming-schemes like the following:

- ID-provider (globally unique id)
- Common Name (of subject)
- Client number (static locally unique id)

Sample ID: "http://www.mybank.com/gid" : "CN=Marion Anderson, serialNumber=0766864"

This would work as globally unique pseudo-citizen-codes but without the political problems associated with huge central registries held by government authorities.

In case some parties need other information about the subject like social security number, registered address etc, the client (citizen) can using the very same certificate, request their bank (using an on-line service), to create a signed registry file based on other account information.

Anders Rundgren
Consultant in PKI and secure e-business
+46 70 - 627 74 37