Subject: RE: [pki-tc] Re: [egov] e-Gov: Distributing confidential informat ion

It does seem baffling that one can patent obvious uses of existing
technology - patents are supposed to encourage innovation, not stifle it...

From Tumbleweed's website,

http://www.tumbleweed.com/en/company/legal_notices.html#top

Patents
Some of the processes, arrangements, user interfaces, transaction sequences,
site and system architectures, data arrangements, and data processing
algorithms, described or embodied in this site and any affiliated or related
sites, are covered by one or more of the following U.S. Patents:
  »    Patent No. 5,790,790
  »    Patent No. 6,061,448
  »    Patent No. 399,836
  »    Patent No. 6,192,407
  »    Patent No. 6,119,137

If anyone figures out what these patents really cover (especially in terms
of how much of the obvious use of https for upload/download and mailing
https URLs), please let me know...

..Mike (speaking on behalf of myself, not my employer with regards to the
above opinions)